Yukgaejang is a spicy Korean soup that is made from shredded beef with scallions, bean sprouts, gosai (bracken fern), torandae (taro stems), sliced onions, dangmyeon (sweet potato noodles), chili powder, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, black pepper, salt. Normally, you would eat this with a bowl of rice and a side of kimchi but I decided to make some noodle soup out of it.
I had some leftover Yukgaejang from my fiance’s mom and decided to make some noodle soup out of it. She thought it was weird I was making noodle soup out of it because normally you would just drink it with soup and a side of rice. But the flavor of this soup is very good and it tastes like some broth’s I’ve had in my noodle soups before. So I thought I would try it and it turned out really good! Even my fiance liked it.
I have never made Yukgaejang before but I found a similar recipe off of www.maangchi.com. I will list her recipe below as well as what I did to make this noodle soup. Hope you enjoy!
-Hot pepper flakes
- In a big pot, add 1lb beef brisket, 11-12 cups of water, and half an onion. Boil it for 1 hour over high heat.
- While it boils, cut 12 green onions, 1 stalk of celery, and 1-2 cups of fernbrake into pieces about 7 cm in length. Mince 7 cloves of garlic. Put them all into a big bowl with 5 cups of bean sprouts.
- Put 3 tbs hot pepper flakes, 1 tbs of sesame oil, 1 tbs of vegetable oil, 1 tbs soy sauce, 5 ts of salt, and some ground black pepper into a small bowl and mix it. This is your hot pepper oil sauce.
- Put the hot pepper oil sauce on top of the vegetables and mix them all up.
- When the beef is well cooked, take it out and set it aside to cool down.
- Add the mixture of vegetables and hot pepper oil sauce into the boiling beef stock. Boil it for 20 minutes.
- Slice the beef thinly and add it into the boiling soup. Cook it about 5 minutes more.
- In the meantime, cook a pound of flour noodles in a pot according to the package instructions.
- Once the noodles are cooked, place them in a bowl and pour your Yukgaejang soup over it.
- Serve with your favorite vegetables on the side and you will have yourself a healthy and delicious meal!