I was browsing through the web to find some new noodle dishes I have never tried and came upon this supposedly popular Jewish noodle dish called Kugel. It sounds very interesting because some people eat this as a dessert dish or a side dish. It’s a baked noodle dish that is kind of like a noodle pudding casserole. Ingredients for this dish vary from cheese, sugar, cherries, potatoes, all sorts of vegetables and many more. Different family recipes have different ingredients.
For this specific recipe, I found it on this site. The author swears by this recipe. She even goes on to say that this is the best food she has ever tasted and if she was stranded on an island and she could only bring one food with her, it would be this very dish.
To be honest, I have never eaten Kugel before but I plan on making it soon to try. When I do, I will definitely post it here on my site. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this recipe, if you plan on making it. And as always, please let me know how it is!
- 1 pound wide egg noodles
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups sugar (Her mom uses 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 pounds full-fat cottage cheese, creamed or large curd
- 2 sticks (1 cup or 8 ounces) melted butter margarine (Her mom uses 1 1/2sticks butter)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Dash of salt
- *Optional: 2 cups canned cherry pie filling (Comstock is specified)*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Parboil the noodles (five to seven minutes).
- In a very large bowl beat eggs until fluffy.
- Add the sugar gradually, then the cottage cheese, margarine or butter and vanilla.
- Stir in the drained noodles.
- Pour into a 9×13-inch pan.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until kugel is set.
- If using the cherry pie filling as a topping, pour it over at the one-hour mark, then bake it for an additional 30 minutes.
- Your baking time may vary. Check if your Kugel is done in an hour and go from there. Some cooler ovens may take up to 2 hours to bake.
- Just make sure the Kugel is nice and brown on top but not burnt. And the filling is cooked thoroughly. Look at the picture below for reference.