Since making the spicy Thai noodle salad, I started to really enjoy the combination of noodle and salad together. It makes for a healthy meal that consists of the one ingredient I love, noodles! What I decided to make last night was a Thai steak noodle salad. It was a meal that was very satisfying and filling. Last night, I wanted to eat something healthy but filling at the same time so I decided to add steak into this noodle salad.
The salad itself can be prepared with whatever ingredients you prefer. The recipe below is what I prefer for my salad but you can always add and/or replace with whatever ingredients you prefer. Just make sure you make the dressing the same and add noodles and steak.
- 5 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon water
- 2 large clove garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons Sriracha or similar chile paste
- 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tbs of honey
- 3 tablespoon neutral flavored oil (ie canola or grapeseed)
- 3/4 pound skirt or flank steak
- 1/2 lb of noodles, cooked al dente (I used flour based, udon type of noodles)
- 2 large handful of romaine lettuce
- 2 large handful shredded cabbage
- 2 large handful of cilantro (aka coriander)
- 2 small julienned carrot
- Chopped mint
- A handful of crushed peanuts
- Mix all of the dressing ingredients together to make the dressing and set it aside.
- Season the beef of your choice with salt and pepper and sear on a hot skillet for 2-3 minutes on both sides or until its medium rare.
- Place the meat on a cutting board and let it sit a few minutes to cook a little more on the inside.
- Then slice the meat into thin 1/2-1 inch strips.
- Meanwhile, prepare the noodles according to the packaged instructions. Be sure not to overcook the noodles. It is always better to undercook than to overcook. Once the noodles get the al dente texture, drain the noodles and rinse over cold water. Rinsing with cold water helps the noodles maintain it’s texture without having it cook more in the heat.
- After the noodle have been rinsed under cold water, mix all the salad ingredients together and add the dressing.
- Toss until the dressing have been evenly distributed throughout the salad.
- Plate the noodle salad on individual plates and add the strip of steaks on top of each plate.
- Garnish with whatever you like. (ex. chopped peanuts, pepper, parsely, etc)
- As for salad ingredients, sweet ingredients are always good with this salad such as mango’s or pineapples. It mixes with the dressing well.
- You can always substitute or add your choice of fresh greens such as spinach or mixed greens.